Skip to content

Ontario Needs Help With COVID-19

The province has reached out for help to deal with the third wave of COVID-19.

Health Minister Christine Elliott confirmed that Ontario needs Ottawa’s help with Armed Forces and Canadian Red Cross personnel.

“We are seeing increasing numbers of people in our intensive care units,” said Elliott. “As we are building more beds we have created more spaces we have set back and delayed some of the emergency surgeries and procedures.”

Elliott went onto say: “This is just a way really to get more assistance, if possible, from both the red cross and armed forces, which had been offered beforehand.”

Back on Thursday, April 15th, Premier Doug Ford refused the offer of aid in the form of COVID-19 mobile vaccination teams from the Canadian Red Cross after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made it available.

“While we appreciate the Prime Minister’s offer unless it is matched with an increase in supply, we do not need the Red Cross at this time for administration of vaccines in Ontario,” a statement from the premier’s office said on Friday, April 16th. “We do not have a capacity issue, we have a supply issue.”

Newfoundland and Labrador has put their hand up to help Ontario in the coming days

The Deputy Premier indicates Public Safety Minister Bill Blair hasn’t responded to the request for help.

  • Originally from southern Ontario, Jason found his way here and fell in love with the community and music scene of Thunder Bay over twenty years ago. In between various stints on radio, television and writing, Jason is a dad, a partner and (some would consider) a zoo keeper (seriously, he has a LOT of pets).

    View all posts

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to ONNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Thunder Bay
8:41 pm, May 19, 2026
weather icon 7°C
L: 7° H: 7°

What’s Trending