Skip to content

Ontario Coroner To Determine If Death From COVID-19

There is a possibility Ontario has its first death from COVID-19.

Health Minister Christine Elliot says a 77-year-old man has died in the Muskoka area.

“COVID-19 was detected in their health system. This person had been in close contact with another person who was also positive for COVID-19,” says the Health Minister.

Elliot says the man did have other physical problems that may have caused the death and that’s why they have asked the Coroner to conduct an autopsy to determine how the virus may have factored into the death.

There are still four confirmed death in Canada, all in British Columbia.

There are currently no confirmed COVID-19 cases in Thunder Bay. The Thunder Bay District Health Unit is urging you to self-isolate for 14 days if you have been out of the country. Authorities are also urging you to get your news on COVID-19 from credible news sources and that the Health Unit will be confirming any cases which show up in the district.

The Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre has implemented restrictions as well. Only one person is allowed to visit any patient at any time and that person must be designated by the patient. Everyone entering the hospital is being screened. There is also an assessment centre set up just outside the hospital’s Emergency Department.

Screening protocols are also taking place at all city-run and private long term care facilities.

Public and Catholic schools in Thunder Bay will be closed until at least April 5th. Confederation College and Lakehead University have suspended classes this week in order to formulate an online learning plan for students.

More information on COVID-19 is available HERE and HERE.

You can take Ontario’s self-assessment for COVID-19 HERE.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to ONNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Thunder Bay
12:11 pm, May 18, 2026
weather icon 11°C
L: 11° H: 11°

What’s Trending